The CAEP 2018 K-6 Elementary Teacher Preparation Standards have been approved as a choice of standards for states and EPPs selecting the CAEP Program Review with Feedback option for their elementary teacher preparation programs. These standards are available for providers to use to conduct program level review of K-6 elementary education programs as part of the CAEP accreditation process. Since CAEP does not have a SPA status the CAEP 2018 K-6 Elementary Teacher Preparation Standards may be used when EPPs select the CAEP Program Review with Feedback option, depending on the state’s requirement for its EPPs. Unlike a SPA, CAEP will not be offering “national recognition” to programs.
States specify through an agreement with CAEP, the program review options. After Fall 2020, when we are proposing to sunset the 2007 ACEI Standards, states will need to indicate whether EPPs offering Elementary Teacher Preparation programs will be able to adopt the Feedback option for review.
2018 K-6 Elementary Teacher Preparation Standards
Understanding Assessing and Using the K-6 Elementary Teacher Preparation Standards
- Summer 2018: The CAEP 2018 K-6 Elementary Teacher Preparation Standards adopted.
- Summer 2018- Spring 2019: EPPs adopt standards to make curriculum changes (if necessary).
- Fall 2019- Fall 2021: EPPs implement curriculum changes and start collecting data for program review (between 2019 and 2021 EPPs may collect two cycles of assessment data).
- Fall 2021 and beyond: All EPPs selecting the Feedback option adopting the new standards will submit program review report two years prior to their site visits in Fall 2023.
EPPs during the transition may also use the 2007 ACEI standards with the following phase out schedule:
- Fall 2018 through Fall 2019: EPPs can use the ACEI Standards for submitting initial review, response to conditions, and revised reports.
- Spring 2020: EPPs can use the ACEI Standards for submitting only response to conditions and revised reports. Initial review will not be conducted using these standards.
- Fall 2020: EPPs may select Feedback option using the 2018 CAEP K-6 elementary standards, OR, may select the state review option.
- Fall 2020-Spring 2021: EPPs have the option to use 2018 CAEP K-6 CAEP elementary standards if they select the Review with Feedback option for site visits in fall 2022-Spring 2023.
** Coming Soon: Templates for submitting program reports using CAEP 2018 K-6 Elementary Teacher Preparation Standards.